Mokokchung City is a municipality in the state of Nagaland. It is the district headquarters of Mokokchung District. The Ao Nagas inhabit the city of Mokokchung.
About the City
Mokokchung is the cultural centre of the Ao Nagas and is economically and politically one of the most important urban centre in northern Nagaland. The city is made up of 16 wards of which Kumlong and Yimyu are among the largest.
As per 2011 census, Mokokchung City has of population of about 41,000 and it’s metropolitan agglomeration has a population of more than 60,000. Males constitute 55% of the city’s population.
It has had literacy rate of 84% which is the highest in the state.
- Queen Mary Higher Secondary School
- Mayangnokcha Higher Secondary School (MGHSS)
- Jubilee Memorial Higher Secondary School
- Edith Douglas Higher Secondary School
- Lady Bird Higher Secondary School
- Hill View Higher Secondary School
- Model Higher Secondary School
- Town Higher Secondary School
- Canaan Christian Higher Secondary School
- Assam Rifles High School
- Hills Night High School
- Children School
- Nagaland Christian Residential School (NCRS)
Universities and Colleges
- Fazl Ali College
- Jubilee Memorial College (estd. 2015)
- People’s College
- College of Teachers Education
- Institute of Communication & Information Technology
- Industrial Training Institute
Places to visit in Mokokchung City
There are numerous tourists attractions in the city where you can spend quality time with your loved ones.
- Town Park
Often considered to be the best place for travellers to relax and experience an ideal natural ambience. The Mokokchung Park is located at the heart of the city. Thus, it attracts many visitors due to it’s location.
2. Mokokchung Village
One among the largest villages in Nagaland, Mokokchung Village is a perfect place where you can witness the most culturally rich area.
3. Ungma Village
Ungma is the second biggest village in Nagaland and it is believed to be the birthplace of Ao Tribe. Here, you will come across centuries old Log Drum, parks and many other attractions.
Hotels to reach Mokokchung
Mokokchung is an important center in the northern part of Nagaland and it is well connected to the rest of Nagaland as well as the state of Assam.
The nearest Airport is located at Jorhat, Assam which is located 110 Kms away from Mokokchung.
The nearest railway station from Mokokchung is at Mariani which is just 80 Kms away and you can easily take a cab between the two cities.
Road transport is the easiest way to reach Mokokchung. It is well connected with all the major centres of Nagaland.
Thanks for reading. Please share this with your friends and families.